Presented by BHBA's Litigation & Law Practice Management & Technology Sections
Sponsored by 4 Rivers Services
About the Program
Litigation finance is finance provided by an external investor to fund some or all of the legal costs of a matter, in return for a success fee if the matter is successful. Litigation finance normally provides a cash contribution to attorneys while they are working on a partial or full contingency basis. It also provides equality of arms to the funded party, offering a tactical benefit for claimants against well-resourced defendants.
Increasingly law firms are turning to litigation finance to provide a cash injection from existing cases run on a contingency basis and also to finance future matters which can then be offered to clients on commercially attractive terms.
The panel will explore how litigation finance can:
- Fund single cases
- Fund portfolios of cases
- Help establish realistic values for cases
- Provide finance to allow law firms to offer competitive fees
- Peter Petyt, CEO, 4 Rivers Services LLC
- Will Marra, Investment Manager, Validity Finance LLC
- Karl Schulze, President, Schulze Haynes Loevenguth & Co.